Alan and Donna Gubler are both school teachers who were hoping to retire soon. On the weekend of
November 28 an electrical fire started in the attic of their home. While away for Thanksgiving their
furnace stopped working. Alan purchased some space heaters to get them through the weekend until
someone could come fix the furnace. On Sunday afternoon while Donna was blow drying her hair a
breaker was tripped. After spending some time trying to figure out which outlet was the problem, Alan
gave up and decided to try again on Monday. Around 5 that evening Donna was in her bedroom hanging
clothes and Alan was in the kitchen making some dinner. Donna could hear popping and crackling and
called Alan in to see if he could hear it too. He could not and they both went back to what they were
doing. A short time after that some neighbors came to the door and told them to immediately get out
of the house because they believed it was on fire. Donna ran and put on her slippers and they left.
Smoke was billowing out of the entire roof. They left the house with only the clothes on their backs.
At the time of the fire they did not have insurance on their home. Family and friends in Ely have rallied
together to get them the necessities they need right now so that they could return to work. They will
have to start from scratch with what savings they have. They have such a deep hole in their hearts right
now and are entirely devastated. Their burden is not light and will likely last for quite some time as they
try to rebuild what they have lost. We know this holiday season will be a very trying one for them and hope that this site and the donations raised, will ease their burden, even by a little.
Thank you for your interest, concern & donations!